All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Seeking writers
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:14 pm 
Unplugged

Blistering wants approximately a dozen writers that live, breathe, eat and sleep for the chance to meet, interview and write about rock stars.

Passion, dedication, tenacity, a sense of humor, a team-player attitude and a proactive nature are vital. So are a willingness to take direction and constructive criticism. Anal-retentiveness should only be applied to the detail you invest in your reporting and writing. Professional discussion of editorial changes is welcome. Attempts at decapitating the editrix because she rearranged a badly organized story are not.

We prefer writers with a degree of experience. Ideally, a third- or fourth-year English / journalism / communications major who regularly writes for campus publications or other outlets. However, even if you do not possess those credentials, if you can write stories that are accurate, relevant and entertaining, the door is wide open. You turn in copy that is spell-checked, grammatically correct and well-constructed. You also like to think of new and different angles/stories (such as a ballet company setting its repertoire to heavy metal) or to conduct interviews with the true personalities of metal (see our interview with The Haunted's Peter Dolving). And your only excuse for missing a deadline is your own untimely demise.

What will you get in return? The opportunity to see all the best concerts, listen to the latest music, meet your childhood idol and become privy to the most fascinating stories this side of the Northern Hemisphere. Plus, your name in print.

To prove you posses these skills, please do the following. Those who do not follow these directions will have their e-mail deleted without prejudice:

Send a brief paragraph (about a dozen sentences) describing your writing experience and what kind of rock/metal you want to cover to christa@blistering.com. We are being deliberately vague about how to write this paragraph. This is because if you can't describe yourself clearly, you surely won't be able to describe another person/event/album clearly, either. Include your name, e-mail address and telephone number with your time zone so our enthusiastic phone calls won't accidentally wake you at midnight.

In the SUBJECT line of this e-mail, put: Writer interested in contributing to Blistering.

In the body of the e-mail, paste two album reviews and two articles that are your best samples of your unedited work. DO NOT SEND ATTACHMENTS. If you have not written two album reviews before, pick one album you love and one album you hate. (It does not matter what kind of music they are.) Make the reviews about 350-400 words. Tell us why you love or hate said albums.

For your articles, send ones that are roughly 1,000 words. If your best-written articles happen to run longer, send the first 1,000 words only and note at the top of the article that you have sent an editedversion.

If you have trouble e-mailing these items, send the album reviews in the first e-mail. In a second e-mail, put "Article samples from (your name)" in the SUBJECT line and paste the articles to this e-mail.

Because of the sheer popularity of our inbox, we cannot respond to applicants unless they fit Blistering's exacting bill.

So put on your most inspiring metal record and start sorting through your hard drive for you most mind-bending prose. We look forward to having it kick our ass.

http://www.blistering.com

Post subject: Re: Seeking writers
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:40 pm 
Unplugged

i would be interested in joining it, except that i have never tried my hands at the kind of writing you are looking for, i am more into writing lyrics! any scopes or opportunities for me? if you want i can send you my sample work in PM